COLAB, located in Richmond, VA, is a digital agency with a team of nearly 25 talented and motivated individuals with the core purpose of empowering our clients through WebOps. WebOps is a framework for building and optimizing a website so that it constantly evolves to the needs of the entire organization. We are a fully hybrid team – with some of our team members operating fully-remote, some that prefer coming into our office most days, and some choosing a mix of the two. Additionally, we are currently piloting a 4-Day Workweek.
Our team is made up of project managers, strategists, designers, developers, and quality assurance analysts that come from a variety of backgrounds with diverse opinions and unique perspectives, which we believe is key to great problem solving.
At this time, COLAB will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Who You Are
- You are an expert in Drupal and have a working knowledge of WordPress – with the ability to set up, configure, build, and maintain both platforms
- You have a deep understanding of front end development and content management
- You have the knowledge and ability to implement code using modern PHP development best practices
- You have an understanding of UX and visual design concepts to provide perspective on web technology
- You consistently build visually accurate websites from design mockups with strong attention to detail
- You take great care in architecting applications to ensure solutions have longevity and extensibility
- You are a planner and a problem-solver by nature
- You are adept at agile development practices including continuous integration and deployment and iterative development
- You are comfortable with productive debate, listening to differing perspectives and offering up your own insights and ideas
- You are innately curious, a forever learner, and enjoy learning about and applying new technologies
What You’ll Do
Develop for web-based digital experiences.
- Determine front end technology and CMS implementation approach for your projects; recommend appropriate technology solution given project constraints and ensure the foundation and early stages of work set you and the project team for success
- Work within git and gitflow (Github or Bitbucket)
- Provide sound estimates for all technology deliverables
- Implement front end code (HTML/CSS/SCSS/JS) and CMS configuration for 2-4 concurrent projects (while our traffic manager tries to limit the number of projects you may touch in a given week, context switching is a normal and necessary part of working at COLAB; we like to think the variety keeps it interesting)
- Understand and implement component-based development using principles of atomic design
Collaboratively explore problems.
- Collaborate with strategists and designers to plan the scope, prioritize features, functionality, and CMS customizations, and determine the technical approach for projects
- Proactively identity technical risks and when necessary, create a plan for mitigating technical debt
- Provide specific feedback to the rest of the project team on the technical impacts of various IA, UX, and visual design decisions
- Solve technology problems during regular meetings with project and practice teams
- Share your work during code reviews to receive feedback from other team members; provide thoughtful feedback to others regarding their code
Communicate effectively and often.
Help maintain team productivity through clear and honest communication. This includes sharing daily statuses with the production team, identifying and calling out red flags on projects, and sharing progress work with your practice team.
- Stay up to date with industry developments and trends; experiment and create proofs of concept when necessary
- Collaborate with Web Development Lead to ensure operational efficiency and quality of technology work
What You’ll Bring
- A balanced understanding of developing the best technology approach given project constraints and can advocate for decisions that balance priorities of COLAB, clients, and constraints
- A commitment to proper and meticulous delivery
- A good grasp of UX and visual design concepts to provide perspective on web technology
- A strong desire to collaborate with team members as well as mentor and coach junior developers
- An ability to time manage and work autonomously in an appropriate manner
- A dedication to understanding and solving problems
- A general understanding of Agile methodologies and Scrum or Kanban frameworks
- A unique perspective
What We’ll Bring
- Hybrid Workplace – choose to work remotely, in our office, or a mix
- 4-day Workweek (currently piloting)
- 100% Company-paid Health Insurance
- Optional Dental & Vision Insurance
- Retirement Plan (401k) with Company Match
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
- Parental Leave (Maternity, Paternity)
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Access to Onsite Gym & Pool